If you’ve been using Telegram and are considering deleting your account, then this article will explain the steps required to deactivate and delete your Telegram account permanently. Deactivating your account will disable your profile, while deleting your account will permanently remove your account from Telegram servers. We’ll explain each option in detail, providing the necessary instructions to guide you through the process.
I. Understanding Telegram Accounts
Telegram accounts provide users with a secure way of connecting and communicating with others both privately and publicly. It allows users to set up a profile, share messages and media with others, and also provides end-to-end encryption on both one-on-one messages and group chats.
When creating a new Telegram account, one needs to provide a phone number, username, and secure password. After entering this information, a code will be sent to the phone number given, which must be entered in order to complete the registration process. Without this code, one cannot create an account.
Telegram account features include:
- End-to-end encryption on messages.
- Ability to create group chats.
- Users can set up profiles and share media.
- Usernames can be used to connect with others.
- Secure Two-Step Verification for logging in.
II. Prerequisites to Permanently Deleting a Telegram Account
Being one of the most popular instant messaging app, Telegram recently have updated its terms to allow users to permanently delete their accounts. To permanently delete a Telegram account, there are some important prerequisites users need to fulfill:
The account should be at least 6 months old. Therefore, if your account is new, you should wait until it has completed 6 months before deleting it.
You should login to your account at least once in the last 6 months. If you haven’t accessed Telegram for more than six months, your account will be automatically deactivated and then eventually deleted if you don’t log in again.
Actions Before Requesting Deletion
Users need to take the below mentioned steps before requesting the account deletion:
- Backup all the important data like chats, media etc. All the data will be deleted along with the account.
- Log out of all the devices where you have logged into the Telegram account.
- Remove Telegram from all the devices.
III. Exploring the Settings Menu to Delete a Telegram Account
If you’ve finished using Telegram and would like to delete your account, it is possible to do so following a few simple steps. This tutorial will guide you through the entire process of disabling an account, as explained below.
Steps to Delete a Telegram Account
- First, open your Telegram application and tap on the ⋮ icon in the upper right corner.
- Then, select “Settings” from the list of options.
- On the Settings page, find the “Privacy and Security” section and select “Delete my account”.
- Next, choose the time duration for which you would like your account to be deleted. You can set it to 1 month, 3 months, or 6 months.
- Lastly, enter your Telegram account password and click on “Delete account”.
Your account will now be deactivated until the end of the time duration set, after which it will get disabled and all your data, including contacts and messages, will be wiped. Please be aware that once an account is deleted, there is no way to recover it.
IV. Confirming Deletion of Telegram Account
Once the deactivation process is complete, the first step is to make sure that the Telegram account has been deleted. There are a few ways to confirm the deletion of a Telegram account.
- Users can check the Telegram account information page to make sure the account is no longer listed.
- Users can also log into their associated email account to confirm they are no longer receiving notifications from the Telegram account.
- Users can go to the contacts list associated with the Telegram account to make sure their name, profile photo and other information have been removed.
Once users have confirmed the deletion of their Telegram account, they should check the app environment to make sure all account data has been removed. This includes data that was stored on the device such as messages, photos, and videos. They should also make sure any associated accounts, such as cloud accounts or web-based services, have been de-linked from the Telegram account.
It is important to remember that deleting a Telegram account does not guarantee complete anonymity or removal of personal data. Users should take the time to check and confirm the deletion of the Telegram account in order to ensure their data is secure. Deleting a Telegram account does not always delete the data that was associated with the account, such as messages and photos, from the Telegram servers. Therefore, it is important to know the limitations of the deletion process and take extra steps to ensure complete and secure removal of a Telegram account.
V. Closure & Reactivating a Deleted Telegram Account
If you have decided to close your Telegram account due to various reasons, the process is quite straightforward. It only requires a few steps. However, if you wish to reactivate a deleted Telegram account, you must take a few extra steps.
Steps to Close a Telegram Account
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Click on ‘Delete My Account’ button.
- Enter your phone number, and click Done.
- Wait for a popup message to confirm your Telegram account is deleted.
Deleting a Telegram account does not delete the messages and chats available in the Telegram account. However, after deleting, your Telegram account will no longer be able to receive messages in deleted chats or any communication from other users.
Steps to Reactivate a Deleted Telegram Account
- Open Telegram app.
- Enter your phone number used before deleting the account.
- You will receive an activation code.
- Enter the code and then key in a fresh username.
- You will be asked to confirm whether you want to restore the account. Tap on yes to complete the process.
- When you have confirmed the reactivation, you will be able to resume using your Telegram account.
This article has provided you with detailed instructions on how to delete your Telegram account permanently. If done correctly, your account will be no more. Deleting your account may be necessary to maintain your online privacy and security. Now that you have the steps required, you can easily delete your Telegram account and free up valuable storage space.