How To Delete Multiple Messages On Facebook Messenger
Delete Facebook messages does not have to be a tough task. Whether you want to delete a single thread or a whole history, there are ways to accomplish both with little effort.
Some users may find that deleting their whole Facebook account is simpler. We’ve written an article on it as well!
How can you begin clearing up your inbox? By following the procedures outlined in this article.
Messages on Facebook Can Be Saved
Before deleting all of your communications, consider archiving them instead of doing a complete and permanent deletion. This allows you to conceal the messages that you wish to retain. Keep in mind that completing the procedures below will also delete such messages.
- Begin the procedure on Facebook Messenger:
- Hover over the chat you want to delete.
- There will be three menu dots; click on them.
- Click the “Hide” button.
Following this method will delete your undesirable messages without removing them permanently. To retrieve archived conversations, go to Settings in Facebook Messenger and choose “Hidden Chats.”
- Message deletion on an Android phone or tablet:
- Launch Facebook Messenger.
- Find a message to remove and delete it.
- To access the context menu, tap and hold on the message.
- Select Delete.
Message deletion on an iPhone or iPad:
- Launch the Facebook Messenger application.
- Tap and hold on the chat you wish to end, then swipe to the left.
- Select Delete when the menu opens.
- Tap Delete Conversation to confirm your choice.
Only one chat thread may be deleted at a time on smartphone versions of the Facebook Messenger App. If you want to remove additional items, you should probably use a browser.
- Log in to your Facebook profile.
- In Messenger, choose See all.
- Next to a discussion, click the options wheel.
- If you wish to delete all of the messages, click Delete.
But what can you do when you have several messages and chats going on at the same time? – This requires the installation of a third-party browser extension.
Web Browser Extensions
Extensions are added to your web browser and enable you to perform different tasks on a website. You’ll need to install an extension to your web browser to erase many or all of your Facebook chat history. You may start by going to Google and searching for the Web Store, whether you’re using Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer.
For example, on Chrome, search for “Facebook Messenger bulk delete extension” or anything similar. Chrome.google.com will appear as one of the top choices. This is the browser’s online shop.
After clicking “Install,” you will be presented with a series of pop-ups until the extension is installed. The symbol will appear in the top right-hand corner of your browser.
Delete FacebookTM Messages Quickly
After installing the extension, sign in to your Facebook account on your browser. On the extension bar, click the Extension icon.
- On top, there should be a Facebook Messenger logo and a red X.
- Following that, it’s as simple as following the on-screen directions.
- When the “Open Your Messages” button appears, click it.
- Select the new button.
- Begin Deletion as soon as it shows.
- To confirm your decision, click OK.
This should handle all of the messages in your inbox automatically. If it doesn’t, try refreshing the page and repeating the procedure. If you have a large number of chats, it may not be possible to delete them all at once, so repeat the procedure.
If you delete your Facebook Message history from a web browser, you will NOT be able to recover it unless you have a backup of it someplace else. Users of Android, for example, may backup Facebook messages to the ES File Explorer.
This addon works best if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the message list. When you load the extension, it will identify all of the messages as being marked for removal. You may then choose specific messages that you wish to preserve.
Both extensions enable you to select and remove numerous messages from various chats at the same time. However, you must still pick the ones you wish to remove. There is no button or function that allows you to make an automatic selection of all messages.
If you haven’t backed up your Facebook messages, these extensions will permanently erase them. Assuming you chose “all” before clicking “confirm,” the only way to obtain those communications is to ask the person to whom you sent them for assistance or to use data recovery techniques to retrieve backed up data.
Recovery of Deleted Messages
Messages may only be recovered if they were stored in a backup file. For iPhone users, an iCloud recovery may restore such texts. They may be stored in your system’s ES File Explorer for Android users.
When you use Facebook Messenger on an Android smartphone or tablet, all of your chats may be stored. Just because you’ve ‘deleted’ them on the messenger doesn’t mean they’re no longer there.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
You may still view that information if you use ES File Explorer or another explorer that works for you.
- Launch ES File Explorer.
- Navigate to the Storage or SD card folder.
- Open the Android folder by selecting it.
- Open the data folder.
- Navigate through the files until you find ‘com.facebook.orca.’ (This is a feature of the Facebook Messenger app.)
- Navigate to the folder
- Navigate to the fb temp folder.
- This is a cache folder that stores backup files for Facebook Messenger chats.
One Last Thought
Keep in mind that this technique may not always be effective. You can only restore lost chats if you backed up your phone before wiping it.
You may also connect your device to your computer and explore the directories that way.
If you’re using an iOS device, you may need to utilize third-party software to retrieve deleted texts. There are many data recovery applications accessible; it is suggested that you choose the one with the best reviews. Dr.Fone, for example, is one of the most popular data recovery apps.