Having a reliable and efficient method of communication is essential in today’s world, which is why the ability to make calls using a Wifi connection is a great advantage for those with an iPhone. This article will explain the process of how to enable Wifi Calling on an iPhone and the benefits it offers.
1. What Is WiFi Calling?
WiFi calling is a type of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service that allows users to make voice calls over a wireless home network. This is achieved by connecting to the internet via a WiFi router and then using compatible VoIP calling app or service to make the call.
WiFi Calling is a convenient way to make a call when the cell signal is weak or unavailable. Unlike standard VoIP services, a WiFi network can provide a stronger signal and clearer phone calls. WiFi calling also significantly extends the portability of a phone line, as users are no longer limited by the traditional phone cell tower coverage area.
Using a WiFi calling service requires a device, router, and app or service that is compatible with the WiFi calling protocol. Some mobile providers include WiFi calling as an integrated feature and automatically detect a home wireless network and switch to it for voice calls. Other services require downloading a compatible app or making the switch in phone settings. Additionally, a home network must meet certain requirements in order for the service to work properly.
- Requirement 1: Possess an active WiFi service
- Requirement 2: Have a dedicated broadband internet connection with sufficient speed
- Requirement 3: Have an installed phone app compatible with the WiFi calling service.
2. Requirements For Enabling Wifi Calling On iPhones
Before Using Wifi Calling:
In order to use wifi calling on iPhones, several requirements have to be fulfilled. The user’s device needs to use iOS 8.3 or later, and the service provider needs to provide wifi calling. Furthermore, the user needs an Apple ID which is signed in to iCloud, an active carrier plan, as well as a suitable operator enabling wifi calling.
- iPhone 6s or later.
- iPad Pro.
- iPod touch (6th generation).
- Apple Watch Series 3 in combination with an iPhone 6s or later.
Wifi Network Requirements:
The wifi network has to be secure and not hidden. The transmitted and received wifi signal strength needs to be sufficient to support a call or data connection. The wifi connection must have a minimum speed of at least 1 Mbps upload and download.
3. Steps To Enable WiFi Calling On iPhones
Enabling WiFi Calling is an easy process that takes just a few steps. To enable this feature on iPhones, users just need to follow the steps described below:
- On the home screen, go to Settings and then select Cellular.
- And then tap the option WiFi Calling, which is usually at the top.
- An introduction to WiFi Calling will be available on the next screen. Toggle the option to On to enable it.
That’s it, WiFi Calling should now be enabled on the iPhone. Users can now make calls over WiFI without worrying about signal strength. Additionally, WiFi calling also helps reduce charges incurred due to international roaming, as many providers offer discounts on WiFi calls.
It is important to note that not all providers and geographical locations support WiFi Calling. Additionally, even when the feature is available, users will need to update their device to the latest iOS version to stay updated with the bug patches and security updates.
4. Troubleshooting WiFi Calling On iPhones
If you’re having difficulty getting your WiFi calling to work on your iPhone properly you may need to troubleshoot the phone. Here are some tips and tricks to resolving any WiFi calling issues with your iPhone:
- Check your network connection: Make sure your WiFi connection is working properly and there are no interruptions or issues. Verify that your router and phone settings are correct, as incorrect settings can interfere with the connection.
- Check carrier: Make sure that you have enabled WiFi Calling on your carrier’s settings. Depending on your carrier, this may require registering for the service and enabling it in the network settings on your iPhone.
- Restart your phone: restarting the phone can often times help in resolving any issues with the WiFi Calling on your iPhone. Turn off the phone, wait for a few minutes and then turn it back on and test the service.
You can also try resetting your network settings which can often times resolve any WiFi Calling related issues. Go to the network settings on your iPhone and select the “Reset Network Settings” option. This will reset your network settings to their default settings, so you may have to reconfigure them to get your phone up and running again.
If any of the above steps do not work, you may need to contact your carrier or Apple support to get further help in resolving the WiFi Calling issues on your iPhone.
5. Frequently Asked Questions About WiFi Calling On iPhones
WiFi Calling on iPhones can be very useful and convenient for many users. However, it’s important to understand how it works and how to ensure it will work for you. Below are a list of the most commonly asked questions about WiFi Calling on iPhones.
What is WiFi Calling?
WiFi Calling on iPhones is a feature that allows users to make phone calls and send text messages over their home wireless connection. It enables users to make and receive voice calls using WiFi instead of traditional cellular networks, allowing them to have better reception and clearer sound quality in locations with weak or no cell reception.
Do I need any special equipment or settings to use WiFi Calling on my iPhone?
No, you don’t need any special equipment or settings to use WiFi Calling on your iPhone. The feature is built into the iOS operating system and requires no extra setup. All that’s required is a compatible device and a stable wifi connection.
What kind of phone do I need to be able to use WiFi Calling?
In order to use WiFi Calling on an iPhone, you need a device that is compatible with iOS 8.0 or higher. Additionally, compatible iPhone models include:
- iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
- iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s, 5c and 5
- iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2 and iPad Air
- iPad mini 4 and mini 3
In conclusion, it’s straightforward to activate Wifi Calling on your iPhone. Once you have enabled the option, you will be able to make and receive calls over your home Wi-Fi connection, wherever you have a strong Wi-Fi signal. Wifi Calling is a great way to make sure you stay connected with your family and friends at all times.