If you need to know whether someone is online on the popular messaging platform, Telegram, it can be difficult to tell. Telegram is designed to protect users’ online privacy and that doesn’t mean you are informed each time someone comes online.
Fortunately, there are still ways to check if someone is online on Telegram. This article will explain how to check someone’s status on Telegram in a detailed and secure way.
I. Introduction to Telegram
Telegram is a cloud-based instant messaging app that allows users to send text, photos, videos and files. It was launched in 2013 and is now used by over 200 million monthly users worldwide. Telegram is known for its security, high speed and reliability.
Features of Telegram
- Secure – Telegram’s encryption technology ensures that messages remain private and secure.
- Multimedia sharing – Telegram enables the sharing of photos, videos and other types of files.
- Instant messaging – Messages sent on Telegram are delivered instantly, with no delays.
- Channels – Telegram channels enable users to broadcast messages to unlimited numbers of subscribers.
- Group chats – Users can create group chats with up to 200 people.
In addition to the basic features, Telegram also has additional features such as stickers, custom themes, and bot integration. The app is available for both Android and iOS devices, as well as for Windows and Mac.
II. How to Check Chat Status
To check the status of a chat, the following steps should be taken:
- Verify the connection: Check whether the internet connection is working or not. If it’s not, you will have to establish a connection before you can proceed.
- Check the chat page: Launch the chat page and try to locate the user whose status you wish to check. Your progress here will vary depending upon whether you’re using a web-based chat client or a mobile application.
- Check the status: After locating the user, look for the chat status icon. It’s usually an orange, green, or gray dot. A green dot indicates that the user is online and an orange dot indicates the user is idle. A gray dot would signify that the user is offline.
In some chat applications, an online user might also be indicated by a ring or bell symbol. Furthermore, the chat status will often be accompanied with a “Last seen at…” label which will give you an idea of the user’s last connection time.
It is important to refresh the chat page once in a while, since your desired user’s status can change from active to idle or from idle to offline within a short time period. Once the page has been refreshed, the correct status should be visible and you should be able to proceed.
III. Sending a Message to Check Chat Status
It is useful to occasionally send a message in a chat thread you are part of to determine the active status of a conversation. This can be done in a few simple steps:
- Open the chat thread
- Write a short message
- Send the message to everyone in the thread
When you send a message to a chat thread, the status of the group chat can be confirmed by how quickly the other participants respond. When all participants reply in a short time, you can assume the conversation is active. If it takes a long time for the other users to reply, the conversation may be inactive. The message sent should be straightforward and not meant to drive the conversation in any particular direction. Its main purpose is to get others to respond and confirm the chat status.
Note: If you are unsure of the thread’s activity, it is best to refrain from sending a message. Excessive messages in a thread may be perceived as intrusive or disruptive.
IV. Using the Last Seen Feature to Check Online Status
The Last Seen feature’s primary purpose is to let you know when someone was last active in the app. Seeing this feature in the chat interface points out how much the application values users’ privacy and security. Knowing when the other person is available can be valuable and save you time.
In order to use this feature, you must first open the chat page for the person you want to check. On the chat bar, you will find an icon with three little dots, this indicates when the other person was last active in the chat.
- If the other person is active in the app, you’ll see the words “Online”
- If the person was online recently, you’ll see: “Last seen xx hours/ minutes ago”
- If the person has not be online, you’ll see: “Last seen a: date and time”
Furthermore, you can also check when someone was last seen by using the Info option on the chat bar. It will show you the same information as the “last seen” icon. This can be useful if you want to access further information about that particular contact, such as address, their smartphone model, and their email.
V. Additional Tips on Checking Online Status on Telegram
In order to check the online status of your contacts on a Telegram app, here are a few more easy tips to follow along:
- Check if your contact has logged on to your Telegram app since the last time. If he or she has, then their online status will appear in the contact list.
- If your contact does not appear on the list, it may indicate that they are unavailable or have logged off.
- Look for the last seen status message right below their display name. This is a good indication if the contact has been online within the past 24 hours.
Checking Online Statuses of Multiple Contacts at Once
One convenient way of checking the online status of multiple contacts on Telegram is to open the Members tab. This special display shows which of your contacts are present in the channel. From there, you can quickly identify which of your contacts are available to chat.
Checking Pending Contact Requests
If you have sent contact requests to your contacts, you can check their online status as well by seeing which requests have been accepted or declined. All declined requests will be cleared from the pending lists, and these can also be interpreted as your contacts being unavailable.
We hope this article has helped you learn the various ways to check if your contacts are online on Telegram. All of these methods are straightforward and simple to implement. As Telegram continues to grow, there will be more ways to decide who is online or offline on the app. Stay tuned to find out what’s new in the world of Telegram!