Do you wish to forestall your baby, college students, and even yourself from accessing YouTube? There are some ways to dam YouTube, and so they’re all fairly straightforward to do. If you are utilizing an Apple machine like an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you possibly can block YouTube utterly on all browsers utilizing Screen Time. On Windows, you possibly can edit a textual content file that blocks YouTube in Chrome, Edge, and every other browser. On an Android, you possibly can block YouTube utilizing the free apps BlockWeb site and Norton App Lock. This wikiHow article will educate you on the simplest methods to dam YouTube.com and the YouTube cell app on any platform.
Things You Should Know
- The best technique to block YouTube on all PC net browsers is to add YouTube to your Windows host file.
- Use Content Restrictions in Screen Time to dam YouTube and every other app or website on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
- If you are utilizing the BlockWeb site on Android, anybody can get around your YouTube restrictions until you lock the app with Norton App Lock.
- Open Notepad as an administrator. The simplest technique to block YouTube utterly in all net browsers is to add a couple of strains to a textual content file referred to as “hosts,” which you’ll edit in Notepad. Because the host’s file is protected.
- Press Ctrl+O to open a file. You can even get to Open window by clicking File > Open.
- Navigate to folder that accommodates your host’s file. If Windows is put in your C drive, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\and so on. If your Windows setup has a special drive letter, change C with proper letter.
- Click the drop-down menu on the bottom right and select All Files. This shows all the recordsdata within the “\and so on” folder.
- Select the file referred to as “hosts” and click on Open. This opens the host’s file for enhancement.
- Add a brand new line on the backside of the file to dam youtube.com. After the final line within the file, press Enter to create a brand-new line. Then, observe these steps:
- Add one other new line to dam www.youtube.com. You’ll do that in the identical manner you probably did when blocking youtube.com.
- Add one other line to dam m.youtube.com. This is YouTube’s cell handle, so you may wish to block this properly.
- Save your “hosts” file. Now you possibly can merely press Ctrl + S to avoid wasting or click on File > Save.
- Flush your DNS cache so the modifications will take impact. Until you do that, you may nonetheless be capable of entering YouTube via any net browsers you’ve got used the location in not too long ago. The easiest method to do that is to restart your laptop.
4 Easy Ways to Block YouTube on a Computer, Phone, or Tablet
On a Mac
- Go to System Settings. To block YouTube in all browsers on a Mac, you possibly can prohibit the location in your Screen Time settings. To get to System Settings, click on the Apple menu icon within the prime left nook of your display screen and choose System Settings.
- Click Screen Time. You ought to see this within the menu on the left facet of the window after an hourglass icon on a purple background.
- If you are utilizing Family Sharing, click on the member of the family that you just like to dam from seeing YouTube.
- Click Content & Privacy. You’ll see this within the menu on the left facet of the display screen.
- Click Content Restrictions. This will provide you with extra choices.
- Select Limit Adult Websites. YouTube is not thought-about a “grownup web site,” however you may be stopping it within the subsequent step.
- Click Customize. You’ll see this below the “Web Content” choices.
- Click + below the “Restricted” part. Doing this can let you choose YouTube as a restricted website.
- Enter “youtube.com” and click on OK. Doing this can forestall YouTube from opening in any net browser on your Mac.
On iPhone & iPad
- Open your iPhone or iPad’s Settings. There are a couple of other ways you possibly can block YouTube on your iPhone, however utilizing Screen Time is essentially the most simple manner that blocks the YouTube app and YouTube in your iPhone’s net browsers. Tap the Settings app icon, which is a gray field with gears on it.
- Tap Screen Time. It’s the purple icon with an hourglass within the second group of settings.
- If Screen Time is just not enabled, the faucet Turns on Screen Time to allow it now. Then, full the setup course to activate Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. It’s on the backside of the record.
- Enter your PIN if prompted.
- Enable Content & Privacy Restrictions if disabled. If the swap on the prime of the menu is grey, faucet it to allow the characteristic.
- Tap Content Restrictions. It’s within the first group of settings.
- Block the YouTube cell app for a kid (non-compulsory). If you wish to forestall a baby from opening or downloading the YouTube app (or every other app that require the person to be of a sure age) on this iPhone or iPad, you possibly can block the app simply:
- Tap the Back button if you’re completed. You’ve blocked the YouTube app, however what about YouTube in an internet browser? Let’s repair that.
- Tap Web Content. It’s below the “Web Content” header a bit additional down the web page.
- Tap Limit Adult Websites. YouTube is not thought-about a grownup web site, however, turning this characteristic on lets you add block YouTube’s URL.
- Tap Add Website below “Never Allow.” Make positive you’re tapping the choice below “Never Allow,” and never “Always Allow.”
- Add all of YouTube’s URLs to your block record. Here’s how:
- Install BlockWeb site and Norton App Lock. To block each of the YouTube websites and the YouTube app in your Android, you have to obtain two apps: BlockWeb site, which blocks YouTube, and an app referred to as Norton App Lock, which may password-protect BlockWeb site to forestall anybody from undoing the block.
- Open BlockWeb site. Press the Home button to shut the Play Store, then faucet the BlockWeb site app icon, which is an orange defense with a white cancel signal on it.
- Enable the BlockWeb site in your Android’s Accessibility settings when prompted. For the BlockWeb site to have the ability to enter your apps, it can want sure permissions. When prompted, observe the on-screen directions to permit the app to regulate your apps.
- Tap ＋ on the BlockWeb site. It’s within the bottom-right nook of the display screen.
- Enter YouTube’s handle. In the textual content field on the prime of the web page, sort in youtube.com to point out that you just wish to forestall your Android’s built-in browsers from accessing YouTube.
- Tap Tick. It’s within the top-right nook of the display screen. This will block YouTube in your Android Chrome browser and every other built-in searching app(s).
- Tap ＋ once more. This is within the bottom-right nook of the display screen.
- Scroll down and faucet YouTube. It’s within the record of apps. Doing so provides the YouTube app to the record-blocked apps in your Android.
- Open Norton App Lock. Press the Home button, then faucet the Norton Lock app icon which is a yellow-and-white circle with black icons in it.
- Lock the apps you don’t need your baby to switch. Scroll down and faucet every one of the next apps to forestall them from being accessed without your passcode: