As social networking sites become increasingly popular and more and more people join the professional networking platform, LinkedIn, the privacy and control users have over the content they receive and share is often questioned. For example, users may wish to block other members with whom they do not want to, or are no longer, connected. This article will discuss the different types of blocking, how they affect a user’s account, and important factors to consider.
1. Introduction to Blocking on LinkedIn
Social media is now a powerful way to connect and interact with people. LinkedIn, a popular professional networking platform, offers its members the ability to control their connections on the site through the use of blocking. Blocking is a feature that provides members with a way to protect themselves from unwanted and unsolicited connection requests.
How Blocking Works:
- Clicking the “block” button prevents a selected user from sending you messages or seeing your profile.
- After a user is blocked, their messages will not appear in your inbox and any requests sent will be marked as pending, where they will stay until the block is lifted.
- If you already have an existing connection with the blocked user, you will remain connected and the user can still view your profile, but they will not be able to contact you directly.
Blocking on LinkedIn is an effective way for members to protect their online privacy by preventing users from viewing their profiles or contact them against their wishes. It also eliminates the possibility of being spammed or getting inappropriate and unwanted content. Although LinkedIn does not provide a comprehensive list of people who have been blocked, members can familiarize themselves with the steps to block someone and the effects of blocking.
2. Reasons to Block Users on LinkedIn
There are several valid , as the platform is a professional networking site meant to maintain professional connections with colleagues and potential employers. Below, we will explore a few common reasons among users
It is important to remember that LinkedIn is predominantly used for job hunting and networking purposes. Therefore, most users are uninterested in having unsolicited solicitation from other profiles. Since LinkedIn does not have a mechanism for bulk messaging, one of the best options to block users sending unwanted messages
Harassment and Abuse
Nobody should have to endure harassment or abusive behavior from other users. If someone sends a message on LinkedIn that you find offensive, it is important to protect yourself from future occurrences by blocking the user altogether. In addition, LinkedIn has an Abuse and Spam Protection feature, which can be used to report such cases.
Spam or Phishing
If you suspect that a LinkedIn user is attempting to send spam content or is attempting to phish your information, it is a good idea to block this user outright. It is important to protect your personal information and not to run the risk of having it compromised.
- Unsolicited Solicitation
- Harassment and Abuse
- Spam or Phishing
3. Steps to Block a User on LinkedIn
1. Go to a person’s profile
- Search for the name of the person on the LinkedIn search bar.
- Once you find their profile, click on it.
You will then be directed to their profile page.
2. Select the three dots
- At the top right-hand corner of the profile, you will find three vertical dots.
- Click on these three dots to access the drop-down menu.
The menu provides options such as Follow, Unfollow, Report, etc.
3. Block the user
- From the drop-down menu, select the ‘Block or Report’ option.
- You will be then asked to select appropriate reasons for blocking the user.
- Once you choose the reasons, click on Block and you will be successfully done.
The person’s comments, posts and messages are automatically-filtered from your newsfeed and mid-conversations.
4. Benefits of Blocking Users on LinkedIn
Blocking users on LinkedIn helps maintain your online reputation by preventing harassment, ensuring network privacy, and protecting your professional standing.
Keep Harassment at Bay: By blocking users who are bothering you with unwanted messages or inappropriate content, you can maintain your account’s safety. Blocking provides an important means of protecting yourself from aggressive, toxic, or critical interactions.
Protect Your Network: Blocking unwanted users can provide a secure way to keep the people you network with away from questionable individuals or accounts. Helping protect the network from spammers, hackers, or other illegitimate accounts is also an important benefit of blocking.
Maintain Professional Standing: Blocking users can also help you maintain your professional standing. By having a clean and safe account with no links to inappropriate content or individuals, you can ensure your account looks credible to recruiters, potential employers, and anyone who visits your profile.
In conclusion, blocking users on LinkedIn offers several advantages, including keeping harassment away, protecting your network, and maintaining your professional standing.
5. Consequences of Blocking Users on LinkedIn
When you decide to block a user on LinkedIn, your action can have various consequences which you must understand and be prepared for. Below are some of the most common :
- Eliminates the ability to message: At the very least, blocking a user will stop them from sending you messages and vice versa. Even if the conversation was started by the user that you blocked, they will no longer be able to respond to your messages.
- Inhibits connections with other connections: If you block a user, it can prevent them from connecting with your other connections. This may be beneficial in some situations, but it can also be problematic for networking opportunities.
- Reflects poorly on all involved: Even if a user is blocked, it’s still not a good look for either party. It can create a negative impression in the eyes of recruiters and employers when a user is blocked on LinkedIn.
Overall, blocking users on LinkedIn can be a helpful tool in some circumstances. However, you should be mindful of the consequences of such a decision and take those into consideration when making your decision.
Blocking someone on LinkedIn can be a useful tool to help protect your privacy, reduce stress, and help avoid awkwardness. While it may not be the ideal solution for all situations, there are certain scenarios where it is a viable option. Understanding how to block people and what repercussions it may have is key to making an informed decision on how to best protect yourself and your personal information.