Are you looking for a way to connect with recruiters or potential employers on LinkedIn? Looking for advice on selecting and customizing your own personal URL on LinkedIn? Look no further. In this article, we provide you with a detailed step-by-step guide on getting your LinkedIn URL. This guide will provide you with the information necessary to not only select and customize your LinkedIn URL, but to also take advantage of the many features LinkedIn has to offer. So read on and follow the steps in this guide to find the URL that is right for you and successfully build your LinkedIn network.
1. Understanding Your LinkedIn URL
What is Your LinkedIn URL?
A LinkedIn URL is an account-specific web address that is used to link to your LinkedIn profile. Your custom LinkedIn URL appears in the address bar when you view your profile and in search engine results. It can also be posted on your resume, business cards, and other online platforms.
Why is it Important?
Having a custom LinkedIn URL makes it easier for potential employers and clients to find your profile and track your professional story. It also reflects your personal brand and helps to set you apart from other job seekers. It helps to demonstrate your commitment to your linked network and potential employers.
Creating Your LinkedIn URL
- Go to your profile page.
- Click “Edit public profile & URL” on the right rail.
- Scroll down the page to locate the “Edit URL” section.
- Enter a customized URL.
- Hit Save.
It’s important to carefully select your customized URL so it accurately reflects your personal brand and resonates with employers. Select a memorable and concise URL with your name in it rather than trying to make it fancy or using numbers and special characters. Selecting an appropriate URL is key in showcasing your online presence.
2. Setting Up Your LinkedIn Account
Creating an account on LinkedIn is easy and straightforward. To do so, make sure that you already have an email address.
Once you have your email, open the LinkedIn homepage and click “Join Now.” Then, enter your email and create a password with at least eight characters that includes a mix of letters and numbers. After you agree to the privacy agreement, you will be asked to enter your basic information. This will include your:
- Full name
Once you have finished entering the details, you will be directed to create your LinkedIn profile. Here, you will be asked to upload a profile picture, write a headline and craft a summary about your experience and skills. Make sure to use relevant keywords and précis your experience and expertise.
3. Find Your Personalized LinkedIn URL
Having a personalized LinkedIn URL is important, as it makes it easier to be found when you share it on other websites and online materials, as well as to be remembered by colleagues, recruiters, and potential partners.
How to personalize your LinkedIn URL?
- Log in to your LinkedIn account
- Go to My Network > Settings & Privacy
- Scroll down to Public profile
- Edit the URL that appears next to Your public profile URL
- Input the desired unique identifier following the base URL and ensure it isn’t taken by another user
- Click on Save.
Once you have personalized your URL, you have a new tool to share your profile easily with recruiters and companies. Remember that you can always change it, as long as the proposed nickname is still available and doesn’t violate any of the platform’s rules of use.
4. Tips for Creating a Professionally Appropriate URL
URLs are quite important when it comes to web presence, and having a good URL is critical to maintaining a professional appeal. Here are some tips to help you create a URL that looks and feels professional.
- Keep it Short and Sweet – having a lengthy URL will have an impact on the user experience, so try to make your URL lean and easy to remember.
- Use Keywords Wisely – including keywords in the URL can be beneficial, but remember to mix it up in terms of order and write them in a way that makes sense to the reader.
- Utilize Hyphens (-) – when words need to be broken up due to length, use hyphens. This will make the URL look more organized and prevent it from becoming a jumbled mess.
Finally, you can use specific actions, such as “add” or “create” in the URL structure. Also, consider different file extensions when creating a URL. This can help make a URL look more professional and will usually handle the issue of repetition.
Following these tips will help you create a URL that is both functional and professional.
5. How to Update Your LinkedIn URL
Having a customized URL for your LinkedIn profile is essential in representing a professional presence. Updating your URL allows your profile to be easily accessed by others. It is especially useful if you have a long name or you have recently changed your name through marriage. Here we provide instructions on .
The first step is to log in to your LinkedIn account. Once you are logged in, locate the blue ‘Me’ icon in the top right corner of the page. Once clicked on, you will be taken to your profile page. At the top of the page you should be able to see the current URL link in a blue font.
Below is the unordered list of the steps required to update your URL.
- Click on the Edit Public Profile & URL on the right side.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ option next to the URL.
- Type your new desired name or address.
- Click on set custom URL button once you have entered your new name.
Once you have completed the steps you will be able to see your new updated URL link. Note that it is only possible to do this once, so select a name that best represents you. Having a tailored URL helps others to easily find your LinkedIn profile.
With these steps, you are now equipped with the knowledge you need to create your professional and unique LinkedIn URL. Link your account to your resume, and let recruiters and potential employers find more information about you with the click of a button. Leverage your LinkedIn profile for the career of your dreams.