A strong reference is a valuable asset for any job candidate. Whether you’re applying for a new job or pursuing a promotion, a good reference can elevate your application and make the difference between getting hired or being passed over for another candidate. In the modern world of work, LinkedIn has become an extremely valuable tool in establishing professional relationships and exploring job opportunities, and one way to utilize LinkedIn is by asking for online references and recommendations from colleagues, employers, and professional contacts. In this article, we will discuss how to ask for a recommendation on LinkedIn, and the benefits it can provide you in achieving your career goals.
1. Benefits Of Requesting a Professional Recommendation On LinkedIn
1. Connections To Professional Network: Requesting a professional recommendation on LinkedIn can help to expand and strengthen professional connection networks. New connections can help an individual increase their presence and visibility on social media and make them more attractive to potential employers. The professional recommendation can act as a valuable source of feedback which can influence higher ranking job roles and more successful career paths.
2. Highlight Personal Merits: Professional recommendations on LinkedIn can amplify an individual’s valuable skills and positive attributes. Recommendations add extra credibility to an individual’s personal profile and can be used as an advertising platform to communicate information to future employers. A professional recommendation can also improve the likelihood of a successful job application.
3. Get Noticed: Requesting a professional recommendation can help to make an individual stand out from the crowd. Keywords used to describe the individual on professional references can rank higher on potential employer searches and increase the visibility of the individual’s profile. Unbiased professional recommendations also provide an opportunity to promote the individual’s skills and experience to a broader network
2. Steps For Asking For a LinkedIn Recommendation
Reach Out Politely but Directly
When asking for a recommendation on LinkedIn, it is important to be polite and direct. Consider introducing yourself and thanking the person for their time. Explain why you’d like them to provide a testimonial for you. Provide a clear and concise explanation of the recommendation and why it is beneficial that they provide one for you.
Be Specific and Offer Assistance
When reaching out, it is important to be very specific. Let the person know what kind of recommendation you’d like, such as a specific job or position. Offer to provide them with any additional information they may need to complete the recommendation. Additionally, provide a link to your LinkedIn profile, or any other information they may need.
Be Respectful and Prompt in Your Response
When you receive a response from the person, be sure to thank them for their time. Additionally, it is important to be respectful of the person’s time and be prompt in responding. Consider acknowledging their response, and if the person agrees to provide you with a testimonial, then thank them. Above all, be sure to follow-up with a thank you note after the person has provided you with the recommendation.
3. Tips For Drafting An Effective Recommendation Request Message
When drafting a recommendation request message, there are a few key tips to keep in mind:
- Specify Your Relationship to the Requester: Explain how you know the requester and how long you have known them.
- Set the Tone: Keep the message courteous and professional but warm, depending on the friendship you have with the requester.
- Be Concise: Try to limit the request to one clear and concise paragraph.
Additionally, one should draft the message with specific detail of the qualifications desired in the reference. Give the reference a detailed description of the position they are being asked to recommend for and the requester’s relevant experience and qualifications. It is important to be grateful and express appreciation for the time being taken to fulfill the request.
It is also essential to provide all necessary information for the recommendation. Provide an updated resume, contact information for the requester, and any other information that the reference may need. Finally, be mindful of any deadlines for the recommendation and make sure to provide enough time for the reference to fulfill the request without a rush.
4. Guidelines For Providing A Quality Recommendation On LinkedIn
When it comes to providing powerful recommendations on LinkedIn, it’s important to always adhere to certain guidelines in order to deliver a quality result. Dedicating the appropriate time and effort to providing a valuable and detailed recommendation will benefit both the recommendee and the person providing the recommendation.
Be Specific and Include Meaningful Details
Take the time to consider the accomplishments, experience and hard work the recommendee put into their companies, team and professional goals. Try to provide specific examples such as project results and successes, knowledge, expertise and other information related to their work to make your recommendation more valuable.
Avoid Generic Statements and Jargon
Always write in your own words and avoid any generic phrases or expressions as they will not contribute to the quality of your recommendation. Relevant metrics, facts and everyday language will have a much better impact than flowery words.
Proofread Your Recommendation
Before submitting your recommendation, take a few minutes to review it. Check for any typos, grammar errors or inconsistent information. Additionally, confirm the accuracy of the content included in your recommendation. It is essential to ensure that all statements and information provided are true and accurate.
5. Advantages Of Recommending Others On LinkedIn
Visibility and Credibility
Recommending someone on LinkedIn can have tangible benefits to your credibility, visibility and brand. As your shoulders are up for someone you vouch for, it generally reflects positively on you. The people you recommend will be visible to your network, potentially leading to a stronger business relationship or further networking opportunities.
Recommending others stimulates a certain level of engagement in your connections that you may not get with a “like”. The connection will usually be notified that you recommended them and respond or thank you for your kind word. Engaging conversation will flow, resulting in a better chance of fostering a relationship.
Rewards Your Network
Giving credit where credit is due is always important, especially in the business world. Recommending someone in your network publicly rewards them for their hard work and effort. It makes them feel valued and appreciated, creating a sense of loyalty to you that could lead to future collaborations or projects.
Asking for a letter of recommendation on LinkedIn can be a powerful tool in advancing your career. Taking the time to craft a personal, clear, and concise request will help ensure you receive a quality and relevant letter that will serve you well in pursuing your goals. If you have any questions about the process, don’t hesitate to reach out for guidance. With the right approach, you’ll soon have the glowing recommendations that you need to take the next step in your professional journey.