The default iPhone YouTube app has been discontinued. To continue enjoying YouTube videos on your iPhone, download the official YouTube app and make use of its new features.
- Tap the App Store icon on your iPhone’s Home screen to launch the App Store app.
- Tap the Search button at the bottom of the screen.
- Type “YouTube” into the field at the top of the screen followed by the Search button.
- The official YouTube app is likely to be the first app to appear in the search results. You can check if you have the right app by looking for Google Inc. under the developer section. Tap the Free button.
- The button now changes to Install App. Tap it again to continue.
- Enter your iTunes password and/or your username and tap OK.
- The app will now install and appear on your iPhone’s Home screen. Tap its icon to launch the app.
- Scroll up and down to view recent and promoted videos within the YouTube app or, to search, tap the Search button (magnifying glass) at the top right of the screen.
- Swipe across the interface to reveal Settings, to sign in and select videos by category.
How to Use the YouTube App on an iPhone
Q: How do I use YouTube on my iPhone?
A: You can download the YouTube app on the App Store. Visit the iTunes support center to learn about managing iOS app downloads from the App Store. Note: The app will only work on phones or tablets running iOS version 11 and above.
Q: How do you use the YouTube app?
A: Watching videos is straightforward—press the Play button, and the video streams to your computer or mobile device. By default, the video appears in a box on the screen. However, you can make it fill the screen by selecting the full-screen icon.
Q: Can iPhone users use YouTube?
A: YouTube Premium subscribers will be able to watch videos on their iPhones and iPads in PiP mode, which allows them to browse other apps on their devices while watching the videos in a floating window.
Q: Why can I not watch YouTube on my iPhone?
A: Turn off your mobile data connection and then turn it on again. Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app. Update to the newest available version of the YouTube app. Update to the newest available version of iOS.
Q: Why is Android better than iPhone YouTube?
A: Android users have this exclusive feature of Picture-in-Picture mode. Here, users can watch videos in a small screen while using other apps on the phone. YouTube Premium supports PiP mode on Android letting them enjoy an added benefit. This feature is however not available for iOS users.
Q: Why can’t I download YouTube videos on my iPhone?
A: Visit your device’s app store and check if you have any pending updates for the YouTube app. If you have a new phone, or you’ve recently restored your phone, it may include an old version of the YouTube app (e.g., versions below 12.0 are considered outdated).