If you are looking to maximize networking efforts and maintain visibility on Linkedin, tagging people in posts is an effective way to do so. In this article, we will explain the basics of how to properly tag people on Linkedin, so you can ensure you are making the most of your efforts.
1. What Is Tagging on LinkedIn?
Tagging on LinkedIn is a feature that allows you to add mentions of other users in your posts, comments, and replies. When tagged, the other user will be notified of the mention, and will have the opportunity to reply to your post. This is an excellent way to engage with your network and stay connected.
Tagging someone is a great way to recognize their accomplishments, expert opinion, or even just to start a conversation. By including content from other experts in your post, you’ll give further credibility to your message and add more insight into the topic you’re discussing. Furthermore, you may also get to know potential contacts, partners and employers if they respond to your tag.
Here are some tips for tagging on LinkedIn:
- Type ‘@’ into the comment box and the profile of the person you would like to tag will pop up.
- Start typing the name of the person you want to tag, and if you are connected with them on LinkedIn, their profile will pop up.
- Once you select a contact, a tag will populate in your post.
- If you’re connected to someone you would like to tag, but they don’t appear when you type their name, type their email address.
2. The Benefits of Tagging on LinkedIn
Demonstrate Your Skills & Expertise
When you add relevant tags with each post, your connection can identify the area where you excel. Tags will appear directly under your post, allowing others to stumble upon your work quickly. Providing tags for every post will create an organic history on LinkedIn of your skills and expertise, so others can more easily find you.
Using keywords related to your industry will help you make your posts more prominent and easily found by others. Such posts will add to the discussion on trending issues and are more likely to engage with potential employers, customers and recruiters.
Expand Your Reach
Tagging puts your post in front of the larger audience with similar interests and helps you to stand out from the rest. As your tags appear below the post, more people gain access to your content. This will offer more exposure and visibility ‘beyond’ your first-degree connections.
You can benefit from greater exposure just by adding relevant tags related to the topics you post. Leveraging these tags can increase your potential to connect with people you may have never connected before.
Grow Your Network
Putting relevant tags in your posts can help people find your content and in the process, you’ll reach out to potential customers, employers, and recruiters. This puts you in an authoritative position, boasting your relevance in that particular field.
You can add people to your network with similar interests, by reading and commenting on the posts with such tags. Plus, you can join relevant industry communities as well, and interact with like-minded professionals.
3. When to Use Tagging on LinkedIn
The primary benefit of tagging on LinkedIn is organization. You can easily categorize every post and identify related topics. Here are three scenarios when tagging is especially helpful on this social media platform:
- When Reposting: When you share content from an outside source, you can choose a few appropriate tags. This will help the original author, giving them exposure and visibility.
- When Responding: Before you respond to a post, consider which tags are more suitable. This can aid in referencing the topic and connecting with other users discussing the same subject.
- When Networking: It may be beneficial to share your content using popular tags related to your industry or profession. This will help you connect with others who share similar interests.
Therefore, tagging can be beneficial for its networking potential or simply ensuring that content is correctly organized. Used correctly, it can help you better navigate the platform and even boost the exposure for external content.
4. Tips for Tagging People On LinkedIn
Research People Before Tagging
Before you tag someone in your post, you should make sure you researched them. This research can include looking at the person’s profile or website, and reading any articles they’ve written or been featured in. This ensures that you are sharing relevant content with your connections and displaying your thought leadership to potential customers and business partners.
When you tag someone in a post, it is important to ensure that you tag the correct party. Tagging the wrong person can have negative repercussions in terms of people’s impressions of you, so it’s best to make sure you get it right. Additionally, if possible, make sure the person’s profile is public so that other people can find it more easily.
When tagging people in posts, it is important to be selective. Tagging too many people at once can make your post appear spammy, which can be off-putting. Instead, make sure you carefully choose the people you tag to ensure that they are the ideal readers of your post. Some useful considerations to keep in mind include:
- What topics are they interested in?
- What skills do they have?
- Do they have the potential to be a customer?
- Are they part of a specific group?
Making sure that people you tag will actually benefit from your post can have a positive impact.
5. Conclusion: How To Tag People On LinkedIn the Right Way
Tagging people on LinkedIn is an effective way to connect with more professionals and be more visible on the platform. Using the right strategies allows you to build meaningful connections with valuable contacts. Here are five key points to consider when tagging people on LinkedIn.
- Avoid tagging people indiscriminately. Identify people that have influence in the areas of your interest and target them for potential networking.
- Personalize the connections. Make sure to personalize your message to show that you are genuinely interested in connecting.
- Post relevant material. Invite people to join conversations about relevant topics that can interest them, and guide them to material that can benefit them.
- Follow up. After connecting, keep following up with useful content and information.
- Let people know when you need something. At times, you can let them know what you need—such as advice, feedback, or suggestions—and politely ask them to help you.
By following these suggestions, you can build better connections on LinkedIn, reach more people, be more visible and make more meaningful connections. With the right strategies, you can ensure that you’re tagging the right people on LinkedIn.
Tagging people on LinkedIn can be a powerful way to expand your professional network and to reach out to a wide range of potential contacts. With proper etiquette and a little creativity, you can leverage social tags to your advantage and make meaningful connections on the platform. Use the tips mentioned in this article to get the most out of LinkedIn’s tagging feature.