How To Delete Archived Messages Chat Logs On Facebook
As you will see in today’s post, deleting a single message on Facebook Messenger or even whole conversations from Facebook’s instant messaging program is feasible and quite simple.
You may also archive your chats if you don’t want to take the risk of losing them entirely, and we’ll show you how to accomplish so quickly.
So, in today’s post, we’ll learn how to delete individual messages on Facebook Messenger, as well as how to delete or archive whole conversations.
We’ll start with the first item on our list since there are many approaches to achieving your objective, depending on what you want to do.
- How to remove individual Facebook Messenger messages
You may accomplish this using either the Facebook Messenger mobile app or the desktop version of the program.
Because most people use their phones, we’ll start with the procedures to delete a single message (or many messages, but not whole conversations) on your phone:
Navigate to the message you wish to delete after opening the Facebook Messenger app on your smartphone, then touch and hold it.
There are a few options in the bottom bar of your screen, and “Remove” is in the bottom right corner. That button should be pressed.
You’ll now be provided with two choices, as seen below:
The first will erase the message from both your device and the chat history of the person with whom you were talking. It makes no difference whether they’ve seen it or not; the message will be deleted from both conversations.
You may also choose to simply delete it from your chat history. This means the other person will still be able to read the message and will be unaware that you have removed it.
If you’d want to accomplish this on your laptop or desktop computer, follow these steps:
To remove a discussion or message,
- first go to the conversation and message you want to delete.
- Then, when you move your cursor over the message, two choices will appear: a way to respond to it (a smiling face) and other possibilities (three dots)
- Simply choose “Remove” from the new tab by clicking the dots:
- You’ll be asked if you want to delete it from your chat alone or from the chat of the person you were talking to, just as with the mobile conversation:
And there you have it! You have now removed a message from your Facebook Messenger chat.
You may do this with transmitted (your) or received (from the person with whom you were talking) messages, but keep in mind that deleted messages cannot be retrieved.
Furthermore, messages you’ve received (sent by the person with whom you were conversing) may only be deleted from your chat history, not theirs.
How to Delete Facebook Messenger Conversations in Their Entirety (or archive them)
This is likewise a simple process, and you may delete or archive whole conversations on the laptop or computer version of Facebook while you are signed in.
The advantage of preserving a discussion versus deleting it is that you can access it again later, while deleted chats are permanently lost.
Archived conversations are removed from your messenger history, but they reappear anytime you send or receive a new message to or from that person.
Follow these instructions to delete or archive an entire discussion on Facebook for desktop or laptop:
- In the top bar, select Messages, and then in the bottom left corner, click “See all in Messenger.”
- Hover your cursor over the discussion you wish to delete on the left side of the screen and click the three dots next to that person’s name to view the menu:
- Simply choose one of the following options: Hide (which will archive your discussion) or Delete (which will permanently delete it).
- If you choose the second option, you’ll have to approve deletion once again. And that’s all there is to it!
How to archive or remove a Messenger chat
The same thing is also quite simple to do on Facebook Messenger for mobile. To remove or archive a chat, open the app on your phone and touch and hold the discussion you want to delete or archive.
You’ll see the option shown above, and all you have to do now is choose between “Archive” and “Delete.” It’s that simple!
Your friend will not be notified if you delete or archive a discussion on Facebook, however as we previously said, the conversations or individual messages will not be erased on their devices, just on yours. If you have certain secrets to keep, it’s still better than nothing!
However, if you no longer want to communicate with that individual or just want to block and delete them from your contact list, you may do so.