How To See Archived Messages On Messenger
If you're a Facebook user, you've probably used the social networking site's built-in Messenger app. More than 20 billion messages are exchanged between companies and individuals through the service each month, and it has over 1.3 billion members globally, so that's a lot of talking!
If one of your discussions is over but you don't want to delete it because it may include information you need to refer to in the future, you may archive it so you can return to it later.
But how can you access archived messages after you've saved them? It's easy – here's all you need to know to accomplish both.
How to Save a Facebook Messenger Conversation
You must archive Facebook Messenger chats using the Messenger desktop software rather than the Messenger mobile app.
- Access your Facebook account on a computer.
- Open your desktop Messenger program by going to www.facebook.com/messages/t/.
- Locate the discussion you wish to archive on the left-hand side of the screen among the names of individuals you've messaged.
- Hover over a name and tap the gear-shaped symbol that appears next to it.
Business Insider; Facebook
- To archive the chat, choose “Archive” from the dropdown menu.
How to View Archived Messages in Facebook Messenger on the Desktop
- Log in to your Facebook account at Facebook.com.
- Locate the Messenger symbol, which appears as a tiny squiggle within a speech bubble, on the top menu bar of your screen. Click on it again, and then click on “See All in Messenger” at the bottom of the pop-up box.
- From the dropdown menu, choose “Archived Messages.”
- From the Chats page, select the settings symbol (the little gear next to the big “Messenger” title) to display another dropdown menu.
- Select “Archived Threads” from the dropdown menu. You will then be redirected to your archived chats, which you may view whenever you like.
How to View Archived Messages in Facebook Messenger on a Mobile Device
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone.
- To see archived conversations from inside the Messenger app, enter the name of the person with whom you had the chat into the search box at the top of the app's screen.
You'll need the name of the person you were talking with.
- Tap the name of the contact whose archived discussion you want to see, and Messenger will display every messages you've ever exchanged with that person, including the archived ones.
It's worth noting that communications may be un-archived automatically by just sending another message to the recipient in that discussion thread. The discussion will then be returned to your primary inbox. This applies to both mobile and desktop chats.
You may also use the “Search in Conversations” options on the right-hand side of the opened chat to search for certain terms inside an archived discussion on Facebook.com (rather than the Messenger app). This method also works for chats in your primary inbox.
In this way you can see archived messages on messenger. You must have got what you wanted.